|resources:||Home Installation FAQ Privacy Information Troubleshooting Screenshots Source Code|
- The beta versions of the Gesso extension provide floating TIP and in-place corrections for Vista TIP.
- The Grab and Drag extension makes page scrolling with a pen much easier in Firefox, Thunderbird, and Flock.
- Improve your Tablet PC or UMPC's pen responsiveness throughout Windows with the Tabtip-Tamer program.
- I highly recommend the Drag De Go extension by yukichi for pen-based browsing. It is an enhanced version of the popular Super Drag and Go extension.
The GeckoTIP extension provides Tablet PC Input Panel support in Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird, and Flock. It is a fork of the TPCTIP project intended to patch outstanding bugs, create a stable extension offering context-sensitive pen input in Firefox, and add useful extra enhancements for Tablet PC and UMPC users in Firefox.
GeckoTIP currently only provides context sensitivity under Windows Vista (no floating TIP). The beta versions of the Gesso extension provide floating TIP and in-place corrections for Vista TIP. GeckoTIP and Gesso will likely be combined or work harmoniously together in future releases.
- Features of GeckoTIP
- "Caret tracking" enabling the proper function of the floating Tablet Input Panel in website and UI text fields.
- Manual setting of the Input Scope of a given text field to any combination of predefined Microsoft Input Scope definitions and/or an arbitrary Regular Expression that handwritten input must match.
- Heuristic input scope guessing based on textual information associated to a text field. This allows GeckoTIP to accurately guess an appropriate TIP input scope for you with no user intervention. An important example of this feature is that GeckoTIP automatically sets the URL bar in Firefox to the "URL" scope, allowing easy input of website addresses. The rules used to guess input scopes are user-modifiable.
- Support for alternative 3rd party input panels (currently: Alphatap, MessagEase, SHARK, Fitaly, TAPLESS, and WordLogic). With one of these panels loaded in memory, GeckoTIP can automatically open and position the panel near your cursor when a text field is clicked and automatically close the panel when the text field loses focus.
- Optional scrollbar on the left side of the screen for left-handed users (currently Firefox only).
- An alternative "Go" button for Firefox that acts as an Enter key now matter which field is active.
If GeckoTIP stopped working after upgrading Firefox/Thunderbird, see the troubleshooting guide
- Firefox 3.0 compatibility
- Fixed incompatibility with the latest Google Toolbar
- Tweaked en-US scope guessing parameters
- Left-handed scrollbars in Firefox/Thunderbird 3.0+ are now native
- Added support for the standard Windows XP on-screen keyboard as a "3rd party" input panel
- Compatibility improvement for Firefox 2.0
- Fixed memory leak
- Small bugfix
- Localizations supported: en-US, de-DE, it-IT, es-ES, fr-FR, pt-BR
- Supports Firefox 2.0 alphas and higher
- Customizable scope guessing pattern match file
- Custom scope definitions
- Left handed scrollbar option (currently in Firefox only)
- Interfaces with the following 3rd party onscreen input panels: Alphatap, MessagEase, SHARK, Fitaly, TAPLESS, and WordLogic
- Sunbird 0.3 support
- Active on every dialog and window and has a context menu scoping option on text fields (not available in Firefox/Thunderbird 1.0.x)
- Localizations supported: en-US, de-DE, it-IT, es-ES, fr-FR
- Misc. bugfixes
- Improved scope guessing
- German localization
- Fix for "TIP dissappearing on text entry" bug
- One install file for all versions of Firefox/Thunderbird
- Full Input scoping guessing and manual override
- Support for language localization
Version 0.4.6 -- Initial Release
- Several bug fixes compared to TPCTIP
- Context sensitive URL bar
- Support for Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5
The author may be reached at geckotip at hotmathematician.com for bug reports and feature suggestions. Many thanks to Jim Hurd of Datagrove Inc. for writing the original TPCTIP and TPCISC.